In addition to the benefits to patient care, the PCMH model has tangible benefits to practices and its staff. Practices can align with where health care and payers are headed, and clinicians can see benefits like enhanced reimbursement, MOC credit and the ability to better focus on patient care.
Almost all payers recognize the benefits transitioning to the Patient-Centered Medical Home offers the patient, health plan and the practice and provide incentive-based reimbursement for the entire patient panel. The improvement activity (IA) category is a performance category in the QPP Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS). It contains activities similar to the medical home functions. The IAs are designed to improve clinical practice or care delivery that, when effectively executed, lead to improved outcomes.
Eligible clinicians (EC) in a practice that have received PCMH recognition from accrediting organizations such as NCQA will automatically receive full credit for the MIPS IA category:
- Automatically receive PCMH incentivized payments for each patient on your panel once Recognized
- Increased practice productivity better integration of clinical IT into practice workflow
- A practice that is better prepared for enhanced payment under the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) or Alternative Payment Models (APMs)
- A practice that is primed to participate in accountable care organizations
- A more efficient use of practice resources, resulting in cost savings
- Increased physician and staff member satisfaction